Mridangam Theory is available CLICK HERE .
SYAMA has devised a holistic syllabus with an intention to provide comprehensive knowledge of carnatic music to students. Hence our exams comprise of assessment in various areas as below (depending on the level):
1. Standard lessons – varisais, alankaras, geethams, swarajathis, varnams and kirthanas
2. Special exercises – Singing Akaram, alankaras in various ragas, etc.
3. Documentation – Reading from Notations, Writing notations of phrases/songs
4. Theory – Practically oriented theory of carnatic music.
5. Picture memory – students need to recognize pictures of instruments, various composers/musicians and their short biographies
6. Viva-voce – Interpreting/recognising components of manodharma singing, application of manodharma (improvisation) in extempore phrases/songs.
7. Cross-disciplinary knowledge – Students of melodic and rhythmic categories need to cross-learn basic concepts of the other.
8. Miscellaneous – Tuning of Thambura, Mridangam or Veena, Formulate a pallavi, etc.
9. History of carnatic music and dance
10. Internals – Your support to participating or attendance support to SYAMA in in-house programs or various temple programs.
Hence we strongly encourage all students to give examinations. Examinations not only give students an assessment of how they peform, but also indirectly makes them more than what they do otherwise.
SYAMA usually conducts its annual examinations in the 1st week of June every year.
1. Examinations are optional.
2. Students can take only one level of exam at any one time.
3. Students who have already learnt music elsewhere will be admitted at an advanced level directly, based on their capacity. No need to give exams of earlier levels
4. A reputed carnatic music exponent from chennai will be the examiner for all levels.
5. The examiner will spend 5-10 minutes with the student/parent, right after the exam to discuss the student’s performance and to provide expert advice.
6. Successful students will receive certificates for every level. Students need to be enrolled at the time of certification.
7. Decision of the teacher on the exam level and whether the student is fit for the exam, is final.
8. Examination fees are as follows: Levels 1 to 3- S$50; levels 4 and 5 – S$70
9. Students need to compulsarily attend 2 theory classes.
Year 2007 Music: Mr Pakkala Ramadas, Kalakshetra, India
Year 2008 Music: Mr Seetharama Sharma, Kalapeetam, India
Year 2009 Music: Mrs Prema Hariharan, India
Year 2010 Music: Mrs Prema Hariharan, India
Year 2011 Music: Mrs Charumathy Ramachandran, India, and Dance: Mr Ajit Baskaran Dass, Malaysia.
Year 2012 Music: Mrs Saroja Srinath, India, and Dance: Mrs Siri Rama, Singapore
Year 2013 Music: Mr R Parthasarathy, India, and Dance: Mr V Balakrishnan, Singapore
Year 2014 Music: Dr. K Seshulatha, India
Year 2015 Music: Mr R Parthasarathy, India
Year 2016 Music: Sri T R Vijayakumar
Year 2017 Music: Mr R Parthasarathy, India
Year 2018 Music: Sri T R Vijayakumar
The Other Festival (Yearly Graduation Ceremony):
Year Venue & Guest of Honor
2005 Glass Hall, Singapore Arts Museum Mr VR Nathan, Chief- Hindu Endowments Board
2006 Glass Hall, Singapore Arts Museum Mr Nandakumar, Principal, Global indian Intl School
2007 Recital Studio, Esplanade-Theatres in the Bay Dr. T, Chandroo, CEO- Modern Montessori Intl.
2008 NAFA Lee Foundation Theatre Dr Balaji Sadasivam, Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
2009 Drama centre Black Box, NLB Building Ms Sabanitha Shanmugasundram, Chief- Vasantham Mediacorp
2010 NAFA Lee Foundation Theatre Mr Narayana Mohan, Chief- Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce
2011 Studio Theatre, SOTA Mr P Thirunal Karasu PBM Chairman – People’s Association Narpani Peravai
2012 Civil Services Club, Mr R KalaMohan – Lawyer and Language & Arts activist
2013 Civil Services Club, Mr R Rajaram – Director, Admissions Office, NUS & Arts activist
2014 Singapore Polytechnic, Mr Selvam, Finance Member, Hindu Endowment Board
2015 Singapore Polytechnic, Mr GT Mani – Public speaking Trainer & Arts activist
2016 Singapore Polytechnic, Mr Venkat Padmanabhan, OLAM international, Board member of SICCI
2017 Civil Services Club, Mr Shanmuganathan, Chairman – Asia Tunneling, Vice-President of Sri Velmurugan temple